Shaving bowls gained popularity back at the turn of the 20th century. Worried about the possibility that shaving rashes came from sharing the same brush and soap, barbers sold personalized mugs that customers would bring with them every time they went to the shop to get a shave. Once everyone realized that a shaving rash didn’t come from sharing soap, shaving bowls lost their appeal and became more of a nostalgic item.
Today, the best shaving bowls are functional and stylish. Coming in a variety of styles and constructed with different materials, shaving mugs are incredibly handy when applying soap to your face to prepare the skin for a shave.
Why do I need a shaving bowl?
Shaving bowls serve an essential purpose because once you add soap to the mug, the brush can quickly work the soap or cream into a lather. Most bowls are comfortably held within the palm of a hand and have a rugged exterior to assist in handling. The interior of the mug can also be rough to activate and build the lather, although that is not a standard feature of some shaving mugs.
Top 6 Best Shaving Bowls
Here are six shaving bowl and mug reviews for the best options available to consumers.
Vikings Blade, known for creating quality shaving products, has created one of the best luxury shaving bowls we’ve seen in The Chairman. With a rugged exterior, The Chairman is easy to hold and simple to use. Great at quickly making lather for your next shave, this stainless steel bowl utilizes patented technology to put it above the rest.
Frosted Microscopic Finish
Vikings Blade has created an interior finish that assists in making lather build in the bowl much faster than other non-treated mugs with the frosted microscopic finish.
Heavy Weight Steel
The three-inch bowl has been designed with solid steel that sits nicely inside your palm for secure holding and simple application.
The rough and tactile exterior of The Chairman helps your fingers get a grip that assists in keeping the bowl stable in your hand when applying the cream.
- A great looking bowl that is very functional aided by premium technology.
- The bowl is made with durable steel and a high-quality finish.
- A rough surface on both sides of the bowl helps build lather and assists with the grip.
- A smaller bowl that may turn off shavers that want a larger shaving bowl.
Although it may be on the smaller side, The Chairman provides a luxury experience for individuals who love to shave with a rich lather. The premium steel is coupled with a treated interior that helps turn cream into a lather in seconds. Even though it is labeled as a luxury shaving item, The Chairman is very affordable and keeps its quality through years of use.
In addition to the shaving bowl, shaving mugs have grown in popularity. With the side handle, shaving mugs are comfortable enough to easily adjust the angle of the opening to make sure your brush gets every bit of the lather. The Essential Apothecary Shaving Mug by Fendrihan has several of these features that makes shaving mugs so appealing. From the ceramic material that keeps your lather hot throughout your shave to the convenient handle, this mug is an absolute winner.
The handle can be held through your fingers or with the thumb anchoring your grip on the mug; the handle is smooth and small yet perfect for holding.
Ceramic works better than steel in holding lather’s heat and the Apothecary mug does a beautiful job in keeping the lather’s temperature level.
The large opening on the mug makes sure that no lather gets left behind and that your brush can reach all areas of the mug.
- The handle is very convenient for gripping the mug and turning it to any angle you need to brush out your shaving cream.
- Ceramic exterior keeps the lather hot for an extended period of time.
- Full and open mouth to the mug gives your brush a large area to work the cream into a lather and assists in completely covering your bristles.
- For shaving bowl lovers, the mug with its handle, may not be for this group of shavers.
The Essential Apothecary Shaving Mug by Fendrihan is an excellent alternative to the typical shaving bowl and an exciting way to break up your morning routine. Individuals who love the shaving mug enjoy features such as the handle and the wide open mouth of the mug that accommodates the brush.
Taking the conventional shaving mug a step further is the Savanna Shaving Scuttle Mug. A scuttle mug allows the user to pour hot water inside a chamber that surrounds an inner cup that holds the shaving cream. This interior wall, when filled with hot water, works as an insulator, allowing the user to have a hot shave anywhere. Savanna’s version of the scuttle mug does really well at keeping your shaving cream warm and giving a wide area for your brush to grab all that lather.
Heavy Duty Porcelain Exterior
The exterior of this scuttle mug is made from high-quality porcelain. As a result, the mug does well at retaining heat from the water that is transferred into the shaving cream.
Wide Brush-Friendly Opening
The mug has a large opening that funnels down into the cone-shaped interior. Having a wider opening in the mug allows a shaving brush to gather all the fresh lather on its bristles effortlessly.
Easy to Use Design
With a large handle on the side, the Savanna scuttle mug can be held at any angle for perfect dipping for your brush. Once your shave is over, the design also makes cleaning easy and swift.
- Scuttle mugs are an advanced shaving mug that keeps lather hot throughout the shave.
- Porcelain exterior does well at insulating the lather, keeping the heat from transferring outside the mug.
- The handle is great for positioning the mug when you need more lather on your brush.
- There are a few extra steps needed with a scuttle mug, such as creating hot water, so for individuals looking for the easiest shave possible, you might believe this mug is an unnecessary hassle.
With its handmade appeal, the Savanna Shaving Scuttle Mug creates a healthy lather that delivers a great shave. The mug is comfortable to handle and easy to maneuver to grab every bit of lather. Affordable and fun to use, this scuttle mug is a dynamic tool in making the shaving experience relaxing and enjoyable.
For individuals that don’t want the bells and whistles of scuttle mugs and frosted bowls, the Perfecto Stainless Steel Shaving Bowl is a clean alternative. Made from high-quality stainless steel, this shaving bowl is deep for creating no-hassle lather. Strong enough to be used with any cream or soap, the Perfecto is fully capable of making a substantial amount of lather to start your shave. Promising never to chip, crack or break, the Perfecto bowl is a great bowl to take on business trips.
Stainless Steel Construction
This bowl is an indestructible tank that can handle drops without showing its scars.
Lightweight and Easy to Hold
It is a one-note lightweight bowl that has been designed to hold lather for your shave.
Deeper than Most Stainless Steel Bowls
The depth of the Perfecto bowl is excellent for creating enough lather to shave legs, chest, or arms.
- The shaving bowl is very durable and should last the individual for years before it needs replacement.
- Perfect size for holding if you like to shave in the shower or bath, won’t overwhelm your hand or cause issues due to its size.
- The interior of the bowl is deep enough to create a hearty amount of lather that can tackle any shave from your face to the rest of your body.
- If you prefer a bowl that is grooved or beaded to create a richer lather, then the Perfecto bowl won’t bring that quality to your shave.
Much like any other hobby, those who love shaving might not be interested in the Perfecto Stainless Steel Shaving Bowl due to its simplicity. It doesn’t have some of the features that other bowls and shaving mugs have, but for those interested in a straight forward shaving bowl, the Perfecto bowl is a solid option.
Vikings Blade has taken their standard Chairman bowl and expanded it for one of the best large shaving bowls on the market with the Grand Chairman. Deeper and with more volume, the Grand Chairman shares the rugged exterior for comfortable holding and frosted interior finish to help build lather when using a brush.
Huge Volume in Bowl
For shaving large areas on the body, the deep pocket on the bowl can create enough lather to handle any shaving need.
Frosted Interior Finish
The gritty finish, when used with a brush helps, agitates shaving cream into a rich and creamy lather.
Perfect for Large Soap Pucks
The large floor on the bowl is great for large soap pucks that can be turned into a lather.
- One of the deepest luxury stainless steel bowls on the market for creating massive amounts of lather.
- Works well with large soap pucks for individuals who prefer soap to cream.
- The rugged exterior makes the Grand Chairman easy to hold even though it is larger than smaller mugs and bowls.
- Made from heavyweight steel, this bowl isn’t as light or compact as other shaving bowls, but if you are looking for a high-quality bowl with a host of features, then the Grand Chairman is the way to go.
The Grand Chairman is the best bowl for individuals who want a luxury shaving bowl that is wider and deeper than your typical shaving mug. For fans of Vikings Blade’s standard Chairman bowl, the Grand Chairman has twice the height and volume over the junior model. With the rugged interior/exterior, this bowl makes an abundant amount of lather with large soap pucks and all shaving creams. Not as lightweight as other bowls, but that isn’t a criticism but rather a detail that speaks to the strength of the Grand Chairman.
Charmman has created one of the more unique shaving bowls on this list by using natural granite to carve a rugged bowl that fits nicely in the palm of your hand. Molded by hand for an appealing look; this distinct bowl has a rugged exterior for easy holding, making it simple to whip up a generous lather for shaving your face. With the granite base, their Shaving Soap and Cream Bowl keeps your lather warm and with strong volume.
The bowl has been grooved from hand molding to create ridges that help lift the lather from a cream.
The granite keeps the lather warm after mixing to help hold the shape for re-application.
The bowl has earthy tones that make it an attractive accessory to a bathroom with warm colors.
- The textured interior of the bowl does a wonderful job of making cream into a lather.
- Granite keeps the lather hot to hold the lather’s shape and volume.
- Bowl is the perfect size as it fits snugly into your hand to work well with your brush.
- If you are looking for a more modern bowl, then this granite bowl might turn you away.
The Charmman Shaving Soap & Cream Bowl has a distinct look and feels that forces it to the upper-tier of shaving bowls. With the high-performing rugged interior that makes large amounts of lather rapidly, this bowl keeps the lather warm to stop the reduction of shape that plagues lesser bowls.
Best of the List
The Chairman from Vikings Blade is our favorite shaving bowl on the list. There are several reasons for this choice, from the company’s use of heavyweight steel to the frosted microscopic interior finish, this bowl does amazingly well at creating massive amounts of lather from your favorite cream.
The exterior of the bowl is rough with a tactile surface. The reason having that in your shaving bowl or mug is important is that this type of exterior helps with gripping the bowl as you whisk the cream with your brush and then later, apply the lather to your face.
There may be some minor complaints that the bowl is on the small side, but the argument here is that larger shaving mugs or bowls are unnecessary when you have a compact version that does exceedingly well at achieving its purpose. For its affordability and high-performance, The Chairman from Vikings Blade is a lightweight shaving bowl that deserves a place in your face-trimming routine.